These days, working out is almost impossible without some source of music. When’s the last time you went to the gym without your iPod? While music and exercise have always paired well together, new studies show real benefits.
Whether you jog, lift weights or take yoga classes, music—including how you get it—is critical to a good workout. Research from London led by the deputy head of research at the School of Sport and Education at Brunel University, Costas Karageorghis, found that music at the right tempo can increase motivation and lower your perception of physical effort. Other data supports similar findings.
Music and Accessory Trends For Today’s Active Women
Music and exercise have always complimented one another well, but fitness trends and research indicate real, quantifiable benefits.
Regardless of how you work out, music, and how you get it, seems to be a must-have to compliment your exercise routine. According to Costas Karageorghis, deputy head of research at the School of Sport and Education at Brunel University in London, music at the right tempo can increase motivation and lower the perception of physical exertion.
A study published in the Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology found that treadmill walkers showed more endurance when listening to high-tempo music. Unfortunately, in the marketplace today, women often find few headphone products that really are designed for their needs.
For today’s active woman, not only must you have the right playlist but you also need to find a headphone that matches who you are as a person. Finding the right headphones can be challenging, but consider these tips:
1. Comfort is critical. When wearing headphones for hours on end, it’s important to have a comfortable product that sits nicely in or around your ear. Test what the market has to offer to find a set that’s both secure and comfy.
2. Find the right fit. Most headphones are made in standard sizes. But for many women, they’ve found this to be challenging. Companies have recently introduced headphones just for women, like the Koss Fit Series Headphones, which are 33 percent smaller than the average headphone. Make sure your headphones fit you.
3. Variety is key. Avoid the challenges of rushing to the gym and realizing your headphones are at home by having multiple pairs. Also consider the attributes of the headphones. Are they sweat-resistant yet still cool looking? The right products will help bring variety to every aspect of your workout.
4. Make them fun. Music is fun and gets you going, so make sure your headphones reflect your energy. Consider the color and look to match your personality.
5. Never compromise quality for price. Five-dollar earbuds won’t produce the same quality of sound and likely won’t last long. To stay motivated, invest in a quality-designed product known for its craftsmanship. Don’t turn to overnight sensations. Go with companies that have been in the business for decades.
To learn more about finding the right headphones for today’s active women, visit www.koss.com.